The first Lutheran service in Anderson was conducted Sunday, February 22, 1892 by the Rev. J.F. Booher, pastor at East Germantown, Indiana.
In the spring of 1892, the Rev. W.A. Passavant, missionary superintendent of the General Council, organized the congregation and called it St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. However, no regular services were held for several months.
The first permanent congregation
In 1893, the mission board sent the first resident pastor, the Rev. William J. Finck, who assumed his duties February 1, 1893. The congregation met at several different locations and was finally permanently organized on May 28, 1893.
First church built in 1898
Ground was broken for the erection of a church at 230 West 14th Street on October 26, 1898. This building was completed and dedicated February 1, 1903. From 1927 to 1928, this building was expan
ded and remodeled.
Our current location
In 1961, the church purchased a building site on East 53rd Street, between Fletcher and Central Streets. In 1969, a new building was completed and dedicated on this site, where we have been located ever since.